Let’s welcome EXXON CEO Rex Tillerson to our anti-fracking community. It seems that he has just joined a lawsuit to prevent a 130 foot water tower that will provide water to a nearby fracking site from being installed next to his horse farm in Bartonville Texas. He used to think…well here’s his own words as quoted in the Daily Kos when in 2012, he attacked fracking critics and proponents of regulation. “This type of dysfunctional regulation is holding back the American economic recovery, growth, and global competitiveness.” He has also dismissed the concerns of over 1/3 of the stockholders of Exxon about air and water pollution from the oil and gas extraction technique [fracking], calling them overblown. (New York Times)
But now he has signed on to a lawsuit to prevent the fracking water tower proposed to built next to his property because:
- It will create a constant and visual nuisance with the lights on at all hours and trucks coming and going at all hours.
- The heavy trucks coming for water will cause a noise nuisance and traffic hazards.
- The tower will spoil the view from his 5 million dollar property.
- The tower will lower the property value of that 5 million dollar home (at least 20% is the going statistic for being near anything to do with fracking – WOW – that’s a million right there, drown the drain with all that precious water)
- It goes against local zoning laws i.e. Home Rule.
Sound familiar? See he is truly one of us. In fact, at his town board meeting he commented: “I cannot stay in a place where I do not know who to count on and who not to count on.”
So Rex, now that the shoe’s on the other foot, can we count on you to say no to fracking away our precious air and water and our views and our property values and our peace and quiet?
Or are you just a hypocrite?